Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Characters on the loose! Get out of the way!

One of my characters really pissed me off today.

It’s my own damn fault, really. I know I could keep my characters in line (literally) if I wrote with an outline. And I’ll tell you one thing for sure. If I outlined this story, it certainly wouldn’t be going where it’s going, and my character definitely wouldn’t have done that.

But, I’ve learned that I just have to let it happen. Because, truly, where I thought the story was going was much more predictable and pretty darn boring.

So, what I’ve learned in all of this: I don’t necessarily have to like what my characters are doing to my book, but I’m darn well going to let them do it.

But I’m still pissed.

5 comments:

  1. So true! My characters often shock me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tease! I can't wait to hear what happened :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it'll be interesting to see where that character leads you. Hang on. Hopefully it'll be a wild ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea--

    Your characters often shock me too!

    Suzie--

    It's pretty dark. Hoping first draft of book 2 will be done by Thanksgiving.

    Paul--

    Wild doesn't even begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite parts of writing is when the characters start to take over. It may lead you in unexpected directions away from whatever your initial idea was, but usually I think that's all for the good.

    ReplyDelete