Monday, November 15, 2010

From the bottom of my heart...

I recently wrote my acknowledgements for Original Sin. It was hard.

Here’s the thing.

When I wrote Personal Demons, I didn’t have the courage to put myself out there. What that means is NO ONE read it (with the exception of my daughter). My awesome crit partner read the first three chapters, and that was it. So, because of my cowardice, the only people I really needed to thank were said daughter and crit partner, my husband for keeping us alive (even though he didn’t know why I wasn’t getting to the grocery store, or why I didn’t have time for the laundry), my agent, and my editor.

This time around is different, though. I’ve become part of a really amazing community where everyone is so willing to extend a helping hand. I still only have one reader, but my crit partner was much more central to pulling Original Sin together. My family was much more involved, now that they know I’m writing. My new writer friends have been so supportive and inspirational. And readers. What can I say? It makes my heart ache a little (in a good way) that so many of you, who I’ve never met, have read Personal Demons, then written to tell me how much you loved it.

So, Original Sin acknowledgements are longer than Personal Demons acknowledgements, but they’re not nearly long enough. I really wanted to include all of you by name…but my editor told me the acknowledgements couldn’t be longer than the book. O_O

Thank all of you for your support over the last year since I started this blog. You are truly appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe if you try on a size 3 or so for the acknowledgments and give a magnifying glass as a bonus at every book...Just kidding. (^_^)
    Is so nice of you and you are doing such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing to me how you were able to keep such a huge undertaking to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You r amazing!!!I loved Personal Demons...But I don't know if I am team gabe or luc...its to hard to decided. You got a fan in Puerto Rico

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it! And I gave it a good review on my blog: http://readingtheleaves.com/personaldemons Can't remember if I ever sent it to you, but if not, now you've got it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D can't wait to see the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome!

    I'm amazed at what you were able to put together with virtually no critique. You make me feel a bit like that Old Spice commercial. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing an awesome book! I can't wait to get my hands on Original Sin although I might have to resort to begging as I'm still trying to get some sensible person in the UK to buy the rights!!

    Team LUC all the way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an amazing admission. Most of us sponge up the critiques (maybe too much?) But I'm glad you no longer feel you have to hide this fantastic storytelling talent. I so enjoyed Personal Demons and this blog.

    ReplyDelete