Thursday, October 21, 2010

The REAL forbidden fruit

Everyone in the know agrees that the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge wasn't really an apple. But did you know some biblical scholars argue that, because the Garden of Eden was located in the Middle East, it was a pomagranate that Eve picked from the tree? Just one of those things that you learn when you spend a fair amount of time researching Heaven and Hell--like when you're writing a book about it. Like I did. =)

So anyway, we grow a lot of stuff where I live. I've shown you my cherries (get your mind out of the gutter) and I've shown you my tomatoes. It's getting very close to the end of the growing season now. The only thing I can think still left to ripen are the persimmons.

But now, it's pomagranate season, so here is my forbidden fruit. 

And, where pomagranates may not truly be the Fruit of Knowledge, they may be the Fountain of Youth. Did you know they're full of punicalagins! Yep! You heard me right! Punicalagins! Oh...you've never heard of punicalagins? Well, they're powerful antioxidants, which, we all know, keep us forever young.
 
So maybe, in the end, it was just Eve's vanity that got the best of her. Maybe she woke up that day the serpent showed up in the Garden of Eden and noticed a wrinkle. It's possible, since they hadn't eaten from the Tree of Life either. Just sayin'.

6 comments:

  1. I'd never thought about that! Maybe that's the source of the Persephone myth as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey--Yep. I think she must have seen a wrinkle too. She supposedly ate 6 pomagranates and got sent to Hades for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super interesting! They're beneficial to the health and yummy too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family is Italian so we grew up eating these like other kids eat apples & we were told the seeds are called devils teeth.
    I also don't look my age so may be that anti-aging thing has some truth too it.
    X Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pomengranates! Mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I love them too! I'll eat them more now that I know they have punicalagins!>_<

    ReplyDelete