Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In which I mourn summer before it's actually gone.

You know that crisp, clean air of fall? And the beauty of the red and gold leaves rippling like fire over the hillsides in the fresh fall breeze?

I hate it.

I actually have lots of things to look forward to in the fall. Both of my kids birthdays are coming up in the next few months and Personal Demons birthday is also thrown in there this year. And that’s all very exciting. But… I’m a summer person.

It’s like summer was designed just for me. Even though I don’t get a real “summer break,” it’s still nice not to have to be up at the crack of dawn to blast my kids out of bed with dynamite. I like those slow summer mornings when I can get up and get ready for work at my own pace without having to holler at my kids every two minutes that they’re about to miss the bus.

And, speaking of the crack of dawn, I hate it when that and sunset get closer together. It’s already getting dark so much earlier. Ack!

And, I really dislike the cold and rain. It’s hot in the summer where I live, and it never rains between May and September. So sun? We have it, and I like it.

But, what I like most about summer is this.
Those are some of the last of my summer tomatoes. I offered you guys my cherries this spring. That’s the first of my summer bounty. The tomatoes and figs are always the last. I’m in no way a master gardener. I just checked my thumbs and they’re kind of this ocher color that’s a little more brown than green. But that doesn’t stop me from planting stuff and really enjoying the part of that stuff that doesn’t die.

So, I’m already mourning summer, even though it’s not quite gone. Guess I should snap out of it and enjoy the bit of summer that’s left. Excuse me while I go to the beach. With a book. Or two.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm sure glad I already know how much I love you - otherwise we'd have a serious fight on our hands ;) That crisp cool autumn air is what I've been living each day for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny because I'm celebrating the arrival of fall before it's here! LOL I can't wait for the smells...and the coolness. Heat is fine, heat and humidity(which is all we've had this summer)really sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you Lisa! I love summer. Okay, I *do* love that fall brings boot season, but other than that? Give me flip flops and sun and heat--and yep, fresh tomatoes--ANY day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about summer (LOVE IT!) and fall (dislike greatly). Where I live summer days are always over 100 degrees and while most people are dying from the frying heat I cherish it like an old friend. However I am looking forward to that short time that I can wear bandannas and neckerchiefs without over heating.
    ~The Book B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved summer once, but since the sun did some very bad things to me, I now prefer the other seasons when I can go outside more. Alas, I will never again laze around soaking up rays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love summer too. The beach is my favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to say "but Autumn is so pretty! How can you hate it?" When in fact I live in the Caribbean, I hate the cold, Autumn is like a fairy tale I hear about and never experience so really I should not be telling you to not hate something that is really only pretty in pictures where there is no wind and mushy wetness for you to feel xD.

    I also do love the Summer and the beach but only if there is a nice cool breeze, when there is no wind here I am dying.

    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/SilverWing04/Do%20not%20delete/Sunset2.png
    An ocean sunset at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love summer, but I'm really looking forward to fall. It's SO hot in Southern California that I can't wait for cooler air and Halloween!

    ReplyDelete