Monday, August 23, 2010

Book Trailers

Thanks to all of you who stopped here or at Vania's blog to check out the Gabe trailer for Personal Demons. According to Youtube, there were 400 views this weekend. I really appreciate all the support and comments. You guys are the best. =)

Congrats to all the winners of my "guess the trailer" contest, and thanks to all of you who entered. If you guessed Gabe and left me your email addy, you have been notified. I'm waiting for the tattoos to come in (this week) and I will send your packages out as soon as I have them =)

And, because I still have trailers on the brain (can't wait to show you Luc later this week!!!), I have a question for you. It's a question that I've seen floating around in writer's circles for a few years now. Here it is:

Have you ever seen a book trailer that's intrigued you enough that you went out and bought the book?

Publishers are putting money into all kinds of targeted marketing, and in the YA genre, that often includes trailers. But no one really seems to have an answer to that question. Do trailers sell books?

I've seen some beautiful trailers, many of them done by VLC Productions (that would be Vania). I've found many of them interesting, and a handful have even sent me on-line to buy the book. But in all those cases, I already wanted it.

So, what do you say? Have you ever bought a book because of a trailer? Inquiring minds want to know?

10 comments:

  1. Trailers have made me want some titles a lot more, and turned a couple books from 'I'll get it at some point' to 'I'll get is soon at it's out'. But I've never bought a book purely because of a trailer. It's always the trailer along with the blurb, and I tend to see blurbs before trailers. But they certainly work to ramp up my anticipation for them, which can't be a bad thing. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty Eager's Saltwater Vampires made me want the book instantly, and even though it's not out yet, I WANT THE BOOK.

    Jacqueline Wilson's My Sister Jodie has such an awesome trailer, it DID make me go out to buy the book.

    And I want Personal Demons :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally buy them in spite of the trailer. I want a trailer to act like a moving synopsis. They never tell me what the book is actually about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I wasn't do much blog reading so I just went over and saw the trailer. It is really hot and soooo captures Gabe.
    As for the question, I have been intrigued by good trailers, and so sometimes they put a book on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a comment on my blog that someone thought a book trailer was so good that they wanted the book (hope it was also the review LOL). I usually want the book anyway but I still love seeing book trailers, I think they do help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trailers have made me go from wanting books to "I NEED to have this book now!" Especially since book trailers are developing a lot more with graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was curious about the book Shiver but after seeing the trailer I HAD to buy that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever bought a book solely for its trailer. Most of the time, I'll see a cover or read a summary first before a trailer, so by looking at the cover and reading the plot description, I usually already make up my mind if I'll like it or not. (Plus reading some early reviews and such helps make a decision too...)

    The book trailer is like an added bonus and they've been improving lately. When I first saw a book trailer, I didn't really think they were that helpful, but the last several months, their improved quality has made them grow on me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't yet bought a book soley because of the trailer, though if I saw Holly Black's "White Cat" now and hadn't yet read it, I'd want to go out and buy it!

    I can say that I had a look at the trailer for "Personal Demons", enjoyed it, googled the book and read the synopsis - and now I'd really like to read the book :-) So I think trailers are still a good tool with which to try and hook readers.

    ReplyDelete