Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Good-bye Singapore

I'm officially home from Singapore. I got home Monday afternoon, but Monday was my August Debut Contest post, and yesterday was the final (and best) Personal Demons teaser. So today you get all my pictures.

Singapore was amazing. Very multicultural. Everywhere I went, I saw something I'd never seen before. I went there to teach a medical seminar and had a fun group of phyios, dentists, nurses and the like. Here we all are:

I also had the good fortune of staying with a (now) friend, who fed me things I never would have known existed. Like this, the durian--king of fruits:

She told me it's classified in the "fruit that will fall from the tree and kill you" genus because the outside is really hard and those spiky things are SHARP. You pull it open and eat the stuff around the seeds, which is the texture of goat cheese and tastes...interesting. Not my favorite thing, but I'm glad I tried it.

We went to temples.

We went to the botanic gardens

and the zoo for the "night safari," which was fun.









There's also this immense ferris wheel thing that they call the Singapore Flyer. You get in one of these moving room thingies:

and go up like this:

Very fun.

I'm pretty sure it's going to take me the rest of my life to get over the 15 hour time change. I'm going to bed now.

12 comments:

  1. It looks awesome Lisa! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave for eating something from the "fruit that will fall from the tree and kill you" AND going in the Singapore Flyer, in my book.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Ferris wheel is awesome! Thanks for sharing, and have a nice nap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jet lag is a brute! We just finished welcoming 1500 new participants to my program in Japan. The grand majority come from the West, and are all just about dying...

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singapore looked like a realy cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed Singapore (:

    I wouldn't live anywhere else really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just reminded me how much I miss watching Andrew Zimmern on The Food Network. The durian is his nemesis.

    So glad you had a great time. I'd LOVE to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that ferris wheel is HUGE! I wouldn't have had the guts to go on it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Singapore is my dream city! Did you like Durian? It's one of my favourite fruits. I know it smells like hell, but it tastes like heaven, right? (Many many many people disagree though, lol) Hope you had superb fun on your SG holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, it looks like an amazing place. MY parents certainly loved it. Would love to visit one day :)

    I know what you mean about getting over jetlag, I have a hard time with it too. Have a good sleep x

    ReplyDelete